I finally got Bennett to the Dr. today for his 2-year check up (only 6 months late). The conclusion was: he is tall and skinny. Every new Dr. I go to they look at his chart, look at the numbers, look at me, and ask, "is his dad tall and thin?" YES, thank you. I realize the tall and think genes are not mine.
I have been pretty concerned about his weight lately because the boy does not eat. We usually make it through breakfast and lunch okay. But when it comes to dinner, he will not eat no matter what. He will go to bed without eating a single bite. I have tried everything I can think of to make him eat...bribery, threats, games, dipping things, tooth picks, begging, crying, forcing (which resulted in him barfing all over me - I probably deserved it).
After discussing the problem with his Dr. the results: it is probably my fault. I am too controlling and I am more worried about winning the battle. I need to just let it go. He eats his dinner, or he doesn't...the choice is up to him - NOT ME! Soooo hard for me to relinquish control to a toddler who doesn't know what is best for himself. But I am going to try to back off and hopefully get some results. The Dr. also prescribed some Prevacid to try for reflux because Bennett still throws up at night occasionally. That would be great to have no more throw up to clean off sheets.
He is so smart and talks non-stop all day long. He is my little buddy. I love hanging out with him all day.
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey, remember me? I also have a kiddo whose weight and eating I worry about constantly. It has resulted in many, many power struggles in our home, which he usually wins. Giving up that control is so hard for me, too.
I'm glad I found your blog!
Nat you're such a good mom :) My nephew struggles with eating still (he's 4 1/2), and his poor mom has said many things very similar to this blog... I also send the strongest New Year's Wishes your way that you will have no more throw up on sheets! You deserve some clean sheets
Post a Comment