We had the most dreaded day of all the year........flu shots for all 3 kids! My plan of ambushing them didn't go over so well when Hailee randomly asked me yesterday if she was going to get a flu shot this year. Like a total dummy, I told her, "yea, you're getting one tomorrow." Big mistake!! She hasn't had a shot for a few years because we chose to do the nasal spray (which is a live virus) last year and they both got sick for 24 hours. I wasn't in the mood to deal with 3 barfing children so I opted for the shot.
This is how our afternoon proceeded:
"Mom, does it feel like hair being pulled off your arm?"
"Just one hair or like all of them at the same time?"
"Maybe does it feel like ripping a bandaid off because that really hurts and I don't want to do it if it feels like that."
"How long is the needle in there for? Does it suck out your blood? Will I have blood all over my arm?"
"If it is only in there for 2 seconds, are they quick seconds or long seconds?"
"I just poked my finger nail into my arm as hard as I could. Do you think it hurts worse or the same as that? I think if it hurts the same, that will be okay."
After an exhausting afternoon of questions and worry, she had a restless night which resulted in her coming in my bed at 4 AM crying. Then she was too sick about it to eat her breakfast. We went to the Dr. and they both got a physical. They had to take her blood pressure several times because she was so nervous and it was effecting the reading.
The moment of truth came...to her surprise (and mine), she actually had to get 2 shots because she was missing a booster. She about went through the roof! She was bawling and jumping, she was so upset. The nurse had to get very firm with her and tell her it would be okay and she needed the shots so she could be healthy. She held still for them but did a little freak out flail thing afterward and then calmed down.
Bennett got his and cried but didn't hold a candle next to Hailee's episode.
Then it was Braden's turn. I saved his for last because I thought he might be the most upset. The poor guy had to get SIX shots!!! Hailee (of course completely recovered) asked him if he was going to cry. He said, "no, I'm not going to cry." My tough little man watched the nurse give him 6 shots and didn't even flinch. He didn't wince or move or cry. He looked at me after and said, "Mom, see? I am very brave." You sure are, Braden. Even the nurse was blown away. She gave him about 10 stickers. Hailee got 2.
They are both very healthy and ironically they grew the same amount and gained exactly the same amount of weight.
Braden's stats:
42 1/4 inches tall (up 2 3/4 inches)
40.4 pounds (up 6.1 pounds)
Hailee's stats:
50 inches tall (up 2 3/4 inches)
53 pounds (up 6.1 pounds)
Gotta love my little drama queen and tough guy.
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Okay, so isn't it funny that the oldest are the worst? Lena and Lyndsey laughed through theirs, Taylor cried for a second, but Kevin, oh my gosh, we had to hold him down because he was jumping up and down crying! I'm glad I'm not the only one :)
NATALIE!!! I cannot believe this is really you! I was blog stalking, as I like to call it, and saw your link on Summer's blog! WOW! I literally teared up. I have thought about you so many times wondering what my long lost BFF is doing! Your kids are too cute! YEAH! Write me a note! I LOVE YA!
Wow! I can't believe he just sat there! That's amazing. When I had to take Dallin for his booster for Kindergarten, we had to have me and a nurse hold him down while another nurse did the shot. He was SCREAMING, "somebody help me!" It was awful! I was planning on doing the nasal spray for my kids this year but now maybe I'll reconsider. I don't like to clean up vomit either. lol
How cool! THis is what I studied in school. Next time take a book or a favoirte thing to do to keep her distracted during shots. Hold her on your lap with her head over your shoulder, tell her to squeez you so hard. I have lots of other ideas, but I won't bore you on your blog. I love your discussion with her about candidates!
My kiddos are supposed to get them next Friday! Darby asked the chiropractor what he thought of them and he said NO WAY! That was it! "See mom! You told us we wouldn't have to get shots if we got adjusted! I told you!" I meant if they got sick this would make them feel better. Oh well! If they get the flu I will take them to his house! I am so proud of Braden!
It is just not fair that they give kids so many at once. One day noah had to get 5, and I thought he was going to hate me forever! But I was only there with one kid! I am so sorry you had to go through that!
that is hilarious! I love the reactions to getting shots. Peyton and Hailee are twins.
Post a Comment