Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Are you KIDDING me?!?!

I have to document this for my own humor. Hailee was getting ready for bed the other night and casually drops this question on me....

Hailee:
"Mom? There was this piece of paper up in the hall at my school. It said, 'Talk to your kids about sex." What's sex, mom'?

Me:
After standing there, mouth open, trying to stay composed and not too shocked, I finally stammered out..."umm...what do YOU think it is?"

Hailee:
"Well.....I think it's like shows that grownups watch and they are kissing inappropriate."


So that was it. Once that can of worms is open, they are crawling around all over the place. You can't put them back in and seal up the can. We had "the" talk. I never thought it would be with my 7-year-old!!!!! But the good thing is that she had no preconceived ideas so she heard it straight from me and knows that she doesn't have to ask friends or anyone else...I will always tell her what she wants to know and I will tell her the truth. She took it pretty well, I must say. I am happy that it turned out to be a good thing...I never thought it would be brought on by a flier hanging at school - OF ALL PLACES!!!

Thanks Cleveland Heights Schools....I appreciate the "education" my kid is getting there!

Oh, and yes...I DID call the school and have them move that flier somewhere where 1st and 2nd graders cannot read it!

11 comments:

Lisa said...

Nat! That is crazy and so funny! Oh Hailee... too smart for her own good. I am curious how that conversation went. :) You will have to fill me in. See? This in just one more reason why you need to move to Utah ASAP!

Kristin said...

OH BOY!! Good times! This particular 'can' at our house hasn't been completely opened, just questioned....so for now, I'm safe, and the girls think sex is 'making out and stuff' (I didn't ask what they thought 'stuff' meant)! We're not old enough, or mature enough to be having these conversations with our daughters.....are we?

Aimee's Family Journal said...

STUPID freaking school flyers. Is there not a teachers lounge for announcements and things? Honestly, at 7 years old? What a sweetheart for asking in that way. She must trust and love her mom so much!

Hil said...

Had that talk when Cara was 8 and I'm glad I did! She really feels comfortable asking things and knowing I'll be honest with her. Nice flier though...

Sharlynn said...

That scares me. I really don't even know what to say or how to say or how much to say. I really need to talk to Madison and Erika, but haven't yet. Maybe you can give me so good pointers.

Summer said...

Oh, I'm dreading this one with Andrew. I can't believe the flier though. In the 1st & 2nd grade hall?! What were they thinking? Wait...maybe that was their goal...

Rachel said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe they had that in the hallway. Did they think many parents were going to see it there?! At least the talk went well. I am so not excited for that one.

Michal Thompson said...

You've got to feel good!! That is a great accomplishment now a days to be the first one to tell your child about things. And way to go (about the fliers)!!!

rochelle said...

Oh Mylanta!!! Holy Coly-I would have NOT known what to say. I really need to call you to find out how much to say and what to leave un-said. I would have been freaking out. Well done Mama!

Courtney said...

Nice flyers at school! Someone was really thinking when they did that :)

Marilyn said...

wow, that is interesting what kids are being exposed to so young. I think you did the right thing in explaining it to her since she asked even though she is young. It is much better to get it straight forward from a parent than to have others at school explain it to her.