Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Little Victories

For anyone who has been following the chronicles of Bennett's barfing, we had a small victory this week. I am not calling it a complete win yet...the week's not over. If you haven't heard, Bennett found this way fun way of not going to sleep at night. He would make himself throw up when I put him in bed which started a whole regimen of changing sheets, scrubbing the carpet, changing his pajamas and drew out the whole bedtime process out for hours. I haven't tried putting him to bed on his own for about 2 weeks now because Dane hasn't been around to help with bed time. The thought of knowing what I would have to do if I just put him in his bed and left his room just terrified me so I chose the easy way out and just rocked him to sleep every night. Not that I don't love rocking my squirmy, one-year-old to sleep, I just am tired of bedtime taking 2 hours everynight between all three of them!

So this week I dug my heels in and decided there is no more - even if this goes on for 2 weeks. He is going to bed at 7:15 throw up or not. Sunday he threw up. Monday he threw up. Tuesday I was waivering a little but I decided to stay strong. I sang his bedtime song and laid him down. He started to cry but he didn't stand up like he normally does. I think he stood up and cried for about 5 minutes after I left but then he went to sleep. I went in fully expecting a fully loaded crib but there was nothing!!!! Tonight was even better...I sang his song, laid him down, and he watched me walk out of the room. I stood at the door for at least 2 full minutes expecting to hear the gag sounds or screaming and I heard neither!!!!! I hope it's not a fluke...that's a pretty bad teaser if it is - 2 nights barf-free. Yay for me!



Speaking of victories, here is somthing that is not...


In case you're wondering what this is...it is Braden's newest way of not eating anything with nutritional value. This is so incredibly disgusting I can't believe I'm putting in on here but it is a little bit funny and I'm sure I will look back and laugh. So he started this a few weeks ago and it is happening more frequently. He will chew the same bite for 10 minutes or more. He is afraid of swallowing it because one time he had too much food in his mouth and it made him gag and throw up. So now he will just keep it in there until it turns into liquefied slime and ask if he can spit it out. The first time he did it he kept a carrot in his mouth for 30 minutes. It just kept getting bigger and bigger because he doesn't swallow his spit either - it looked like baby food after that long. So after he had held his ground for 30 minutes, I finally let him spit it out. BIG MISTAKE!!! Now if he doesn't like something he will just hold it in his mouth and let it grow and then he'll start gagging on it so he has to spit it out.


Tonight I have had enough - I don't think the boy has eaten a vegetable all week. I told him he had to swallow or throw up. That's how he gets out of it...he threatens to throw up and he knows that is my weakness right now. Clever little boy! I told him it was fine if he threw up but he would have to clean it up. Guess what happened...he gagged his food down - without throwing up and I got him to eat 3 bites of zucchini and a red pepper. I guess he'll have to come up with a different strategy since I am the meanest mom in the world!



By the way...I haven't been blogging very regularly because I finally started reading the stupid vampire books. Actually I really like them. I say stupid because I can't do anything else. I just finished the 3rd book today and I started the first one last Sunday, as in 10 days ago. That's about 1700 pages. There is one more book left and I hope to read that by the end of next week so I can stop being crazy, obsessed reader and actually do something useful.

8 comments:

Mandie said...

OMG! Dylan did the same "throw up" thing when he was a baby! I have never heard of anyone else having the same problem!! I was not strong and just let him sleep in our bed. The good news is, he doesn't still sleep in our bed! LOL

Becky said...

That's Hilarious about Bennett. Yes it is funny to the rest of us even if it's driving you crazy. What will power. I too felt like a crazy obsessed reader reading the twilight books. the funny think is I kind of missed my "friends"(Edward, Bella, etc...)when I was done reading the books. Just for a few days.

Stef said...

I am the same way when I read, I neglect EVERYTHING and EVERYBODY. . .Trent says he can't wait to get me back to reality (by the way LOVE the Twilight series!)

Michal Thompson said...

You poor things. You have two boys who have yuck coming out of their mouths and then your addicted to the books. THey rouine your life! But why to stand strong and immovable!!

Suzy J said...

You are soooooo strong! Keep it up, barf or not! I would hold a red pepper in mouth too and then barf...what are you feeding them you big bully...if they were at my house there would be NO "Fear factor" dinners! :) Ahhhhh the glorious "cheese puff" books. That is what my family has to eat until the book is done! They all get there own bowl though so I don't really see any reason to complain!

Tiffany said...

Yea for Bennett!! My world changed when Trey finally started going to bed and sleeping all night by himself! Hopefully its not just a big trick!!
For some reason I kinda remember Hailee doing the same thing, didn't she hold her food in her mouth forever too?? I laughed at the Twilight thing. I saw a shirt online that said " please feed me, my mom is reading twilight" that describes me perfect!! (sorry about the super long post!)
miss ya!

Aimee's Family Journal said...

They aren't stupid! they are great! I am guessing your are an Edward girl?? Am I am just laughing because I have a friend whose little boy blows snot rockets all over his pillow and then cries about how gross his pillow is, so that he gets more attention and puts off bedtime. The throw up trick is a new one! OH NO!! I am so sorry!

Hil said...

I heart Edward. :)