Saturday, September 20, 2008

Braden's First Soccer Game

Braden started playing soccer for the first time this year and what a treat it was to watch him at that first game! He has practiced with us a little and we have talked about it but he has never played a team sport before. We were very curious to see how he would be. He was absolutely amazing! I'm a little bias but he scored the first goal of the season. He was a little animal out there. He just went out there and went after the ball! He kicked it the whole way down and was right on top of the ball the whole time. I couldn't believe it was his first time. Dane and I were talking about it and there is no other feeling like that in the whole world. Dane decided to call it "glee", even though it is kind of an ugly word. Glee is defined as the most proud you could be of your child and you almost can't contain your emotions. You feel like you could cry at any moment because you are so happy for them. That is glee. We both had some glee after Braden scored that goal.









Since we are new to soccer, I thought it was so funny to just sit back and watch the whole thing. There are several different types of soccer kids, I have noticed:

There is The Day Dreamer/Dandelion Picker - you know what they do the whole game.
The Permanent Goalie - the kid who hogs the position of goalie because he's actually too afraid of playing in the game.
The Whiner - the kid who whines the whole time how they didn't get to kick the ball or their turn wasn't as long as someone elses or someone kicked them in the shin.
The Ball Hog - the kid who looks a year older than everyone else and uses excessive force to get to the ball.
The Tantrum - rare but I've seen it. You don't really know what the problem is but they don't play much and scream inaudible phrases the whole time.
The Snacker - the kid who only comes to soccer to partake of the treats at the end of the game and asks for something to eat the entire game.

3 comments:

Suzy J said...

Can you have "glee" if your kid is the dandilion picker/whiner/snacker/stay on one end of the field the whole time kind of soccer player. I am not sure I felt much glee. More like panic, anger, sweat, pain, embarasment, sympathy (for the other players and their parents), some tears (not from glee), and tired. I think I felt glee when he got a sweet trophy at the end of the season.... but then he tripped on the way out of the restaurant and broke it ... more tears. He sure can play a video game though! Way to go Braden! You can represent for the Jeffords too! :0

Tiffany said...

Yahoo Braden!! He looks all grown up in his soccer uniform!

Stef said...

That's the different kids to a tee! Kevin is the dandelion picker/ day dreamer. The ball hits his shin guards and knocks him out of his spaced out look and back into the game. One game he actually was making circular motions with his arms and seeing how high he could jump while they played the game around him (really, I got it on video) LOL!!